Plug and Play XML

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Dec 19 19:59:47 GMT 1997

I recently had a request about samples texts to use with Ælfred
(Microstar's XML parser).  With Ælfred, or any other URL-enabled XML
parser, you should be able to parse an XML document directly from the
Internet.

For example, when you download aelfred-1.0beta4.zip (from
http://www.microstar.com/XML/), you should be able to just unzip it
and point it at a URL, with no other setup.  With the JDK, you change
to the directory where you unzipped Ælfred and type

  java EventDemo <URL>

With Microsoft's Java VM, you can type

  jview EventDemo <URL>

(Of course, you can run the command from any directory once Ælfred is
on your classpath).

Here are two URLs that you can use to start playing:

  http://www.microstar.com/XML/donne.xml
  http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dmeggins/texts/darkness/darkness.xml

Type them in, and watch the events roll down your screen -- no manual
downloading required.

I'd love to see the URLs for more online XML documents that we can all
try out (the XML specification at www.w3.org does not currently work,
because of character-encoding errors in the XML document).  I might
put up Beowulf in UTF-8, just to keep the other parser writers busy...

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com