Plug and Play XML

MURATA Makoto murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
Sat Dec 20 12:13:19 GMT 1997

David Megginson writes:

>Here are two URLs that you can use to start playing:
>
>  http://www.microstar.com/XML/donne.xml
>  http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dmeggins/texts/darkness/darkness.xml

As a co-editor of an (upcoming) RFC for text/xml and application/xml,
I think that I should point out the correct procedure for encoding determination.  (I have not checked these two Web sites, and
Flfred.)

For those XML documents transmitted by the HTTP protocol, XML parsers
should use the charset parameter of the media type text/xml  (BTW,
the default of this parameter is 8859-1).  XML parsers should ignore
the encoding declaration within XML documents transmitted by HTTP.
More about this, see the XML PR and the HTTP/1.1

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)