LISTRIVIA (Duplicate postings)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 00:51:11 GMT 1997

At 14:24 19/12/97 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
[... in support of unnecessary bytecount on the list...]

It's something that comes partially out of the SGML culture. When I first
started posting to comp.text.sgml, I was quickly shown by Erik Naggum -
gently but very firmly - the appropriate way to use quoting. For those who
remember his time on c.t.s., I think Erik is one of the most precise people
I have "met" on the Internet.

There is another matter of style, which I was going to raise at an
appropriate time, but which Jon's contribution has catalysed me to mention.
On XML-SIG there is a very strict policy against duplicate postings.
Penalties (which of course are confidential) are Draconian.  I'll explain
the problem...

A duplicate posting occurs when someone (B) replies to the list and
simultaneously to the poster (A). If you do the arithmetic you will see
that the original poster (A) gets two copies of the message, one from the
list (L) and one from (B). Not quite identical because the headers are
different, so they *look* like different messages. It gets quite
disappointing for (A) to find that it's the same old letter again. Again,
if you do the sums you will see that (A) gets about twice as many bytes as
they really want. If you think deeply about the psychology, you'll see that
it often has a similar effect on (A) as unnecessary quoting has.

Now, if you don't *post* to the list, you won't be aware of this. BUT, if
you do, then you'll find that sometimes you get two copies with the same
content.  You'll also start to recognise the people who fall into category
(B).

Why do they do it? Not because (B) wants to upset (A), IMO. It works
something like this:

When (B) gets a message posted by (A) to the list, (B) will see two fields
in the header, something like this: