(NXP)/Java/XML parser : Passing Error Information

Norbert Mikula nmikula at edu.uni-klu.ac.at
Wed Jun 4 17:02:15 BST 1997

NXP, as of today, simply prints error messages to Stderr.
This is fine for now, but it is certainly not the best
way to do things.

There was a suggestion made to me, to throw
an exception, but I think exceptions are not
the best solution as recovery from them is practically
not possible (From the level of the application
programm)

To my understanding there are several classes
of errors that can be passed along

1.) Warnings
2.) WF violations
3.) Violations with respect to the DTD
4.) In general these errors that are reportable - if the user wishes

Should they be handled differently ?

I was thinking in terms of "callback" functions. Like
I do it right now with the "Esis" interface.

How would you, as the user/developer community envision
handling this.

What information would you like to have passed along
to an application ? Error code, textual description (what
about localization ..).

Best regards,
Norbert H. Mikula

= SGML, XML, DSSSL, Intra- & Internet, AI, Java
= mailto:nmikula at edu.uni-klu.ac.at
= http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~nmikula