Which style first ? Re: Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

Norbert H. Mikula nmikula at edu.uni-klu.ac.at
Thu Mar 6 08:03:20 GMT 1997

If we talk about the problems of associations, we should also
talk about the problem of what style, out of a list of style-specs.,
a DSSSL engine is supposed to pick out.

DSSSL supports the definition of multiple style-sheets in
one style-document. I do believe that this is a very important
feature and we need to discuss how to employ it to the fullest.

If I remember correctly, Jade picks out the first it found,
and, I have to admit I don't have the latest Jade version
installed, doesn't do anything with the others.

My DSSSL engine, YADE, reads all the specs. and then picks
out the first one that is has read and does the first
rendering with it. All the other styles are put in a
list which the user, via a menu, can choose from.

I see the following problem. I am working on a DSSSL document
that has one style for hardcopy and a variety of styles for
online rendering. How are we going to tell the DSSSL engine
what style to start with.

The document/style author does not know what kind of DSSSL engine
is going to work with his document. Thus the stylespec. itself
must provide means to communicate to the DSSSL engine
what kind of DSSSL engine i.e. online, hardcopy etc. a style
is suitable for.

Any ideas ?

What about adding an attribute with a list of catagories
of DSSSL engines as possible attribute values.

For instance : output (hardcopy|online|....?) hardcopy

--
Best regards,
Norbert H. Mikula

= SGML, DSSSL, Intra- & Internet, AI, Java
= mailto:nmikula at edu.uni-klu.ac.at
= http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~nmikula