NXP : New Beta (public identifiers, catalog, more parameter entities)

Peter Murray-Rust Peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 01:19:13 GMT 1997

In message <Pine.OSF.3.93.970308095607.8007A-100000 at edusrv.edu.uni-klu.ac.at> Norbert Mikula writes:
> To all (potential) users of NXP
>
> I have put a new beta release onto my WWW server.
>
> Please have a look at :
>
> http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~nmikula/NXP/beta
>
> Release Notes :
>
> * Includes Public Identifiers
>
> * Includes catalogs (incl. DELEGATE and CATALOG)
> (see http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~nmikula/NXP/beta/catalog.html)
>
> * Parameter Entitities
>
> More places where paramater entities can be used in the
> internal subset (please look at entities.xml and entities.dtd
> an the same directory). Im still working on this, but *please*
> do some torture testing with it and send me the results. I am

Norbert,
	I have been trying to get HTML2.0 to 'compile' under NXP.  I have
changed the required things:
	-    -- -- to --* *--
	-    <![ %foo [ to <![%foo[
	-    - - to NULL
	-    %foo to %foo;

I am still having troubles with parameter entity substitution.  The symptoms
seem to be:
	-   %foo is substituted *within comments*.  If %foo contains
		markup, this causes problems.
	-   recursive PE substitution is still a problem in places (see
		% text in HTML 2.0

I have also had problems with substituting the contents of a file referenced
by a PE, e.g.:
	<!ENTITY % foo PUBLIC "-//FOO/BAR">
	<!ENTITY % bar "%foo;">
	%bar;
This appears to be OK under sgmls, but in NXP I think I have to write
	<!ENTITY % bar "'%foo;'">
(But I confess this syntax confuses me terribly and I may have got this wrong
:-)

I am sorry I can't send you examples, but the basic problem is to get HTML2.0
to work with as little editing as possible.

[...]

> Could someone take the burden and do some testing
> on the validation feature ( -v ). Please ....

I am aiming to do this as soon as the DTDs read in OK :-)

[...]

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers