Which style first ? Re: Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

Jon Bosak bosak at atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Mar 10 15:22:11 GMT 1997

[Kazumi Saito:]

| Many of DSSSL style-sheet will be depend on DTD, I think. I want to
| put style-sheet entity declearation on DTD.

I think that it's a mistake to think of stylesheets as having a
one-to-one relationship to DTDs.  It is possible to make one
stylesheet work with many DTDs (though this is probably not a good
practice), and it is not only possible but also very useful to make a
number of different stylesheets work with one DTD.

| About well-formed XML document which has no DTD, it is not so bad that
| such document has style-sheet or pointer to style-sheet for
| portability, I think.

For XML this will be the typical case.  Typical XML documents
transmitted over the Web will not have DTDs and will have to point to
(or include) one or more stylesheets that are intended to be used with
them.

Jon

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers