Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Fri Mar 14 19:22:44 GMT 1997

Eve L. Maler wrote:

> I've also been beating the drum on the WG list about how our PIs should
> have "GIs" as well as "attribute specs," so I'd prefer to see <?XML
> stylesheet att1="val1" att2="val2"... ?>.  This way, "<?XML" targets the PI
> so that it will be processed by an XML-aware processor, and the rest
> identifies the semantics of the instruction.

This looks weirdly like DTD/instance built into the XML instance.
So, XML then defines an application inside the instance?

I understand it because this is how IADS and IDE/AS did links
originally.  However, it created interoperability problems
and does to this day.  What is the difference between this
and a tag bag of empty elements included at the top of a DTD?

len

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers