Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Fri Mar 14 21:05:37 GMT 1997

Eve L. Maler wrote:

> The difference is that, by convention, you're making PI markup available
> that's available to every document and to every *location* in a document if
> necessary, no matter what its DTD (and no matter whether it even has one).
> It just happens to look suspiciously like a start-tag, which may be helpful
> to any software that has to parse the PI string.

By convention? You mean, by application.

An inclusion on root makes an empty element available
to every location.  A PI is something every document has to have.
That isn't an improvement.  If you use a DOCTYPE and know the DTD,
don't
you get the same effect?  XML goes out it's way to load up an
instance just to get around a DTD.  I question the utility of that.
We tell them they are being freed of fixed markup, then add a
question mark and say, oh, that's OK, that's XML.

> I don't think links in general should be done this way, but I do believe in
> PIs being used for, uh, instructions to processors.

Ummm... sure.  Sort of what links are.

> (In other words, I'm
> not 100% against PIs, as some people are.)  In particular, I'm starting to
> get very fond of PIs for anything that has to be specified per entity.

No doubt.

len

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers