Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

Norbert H. Mikula nmikula at edu.uni-klu.ac.at
Wed Mar 19 07:59:52 GMT 1997

Jon Bosak wrote:
> When we start downloading a DSSSL stylesheet from the server, I think
> that this is probably the method we'll try first.  Of all the
> alternatives, I like James Clark's last suggestion best for initial
> experimentation:
>
> <?XML-stylesheet type="text/dsssl" href="foo.dsl"?>

I think that's ok, but it also creates a pain in
my stomache. Does it it mean I have to fetch the stylessheet
each time for each document instance ? The user agent to my DSSSL
engine supports caching (with a primitive caching heuristic,
I have to admit). Should I base the lookup on "href=" or
could (should) we include a (F)PI so that it reads like :

<?XML-stylesheet type="text/dsssl" href="foo.dsl" pub_ident="foo//bar"?>

PS: In general, I am still not fond of PIs. But I have to admit
that it is more a religious than a practical point of view.

--
Best regards,
Norbert H. Mikula

= SGML, DSSSL, Intra- & Internet, AI, Java
= mailto:nmikula at edu.uni-klu.ac.at
= http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~nmikula