New XML article

Peter Murray-Rust Peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Fri May 23 20:18:38 BST 1997

In message <199705231702.TAA15827 at majestix.rz.tu-clausthal.de> Ingo Macherius writes:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> there is a new magazine article on XML avaliable. It appeared in the
> German iX-magazine (http://www.heise.de/ix/) on 14th of May. I consider
> it the first german language article aimed to the general public.
> iX-magazine generously did the english translation and put online
> versions on their server.

Ingo,
	This is a first class article and I particularly like the diagrams.
Could you ask IX magazine to make sure it stays on the WWW for as long as
possible?  I would like to be able to point people at it.  (If so, is that
the permanent URL?).

	If you ever think of drawing diagrams for XML-LINK that would be
a great help to me :-).

	P.

I hope this serves as a catalyst for other readers of this list - there is
a LOT of work that needs to be done in providing introductions to XML, and
in particular LINK will benefit from having clear expositions.  More examples
of all sorts are needed.

(one small correction - JUMBO is not specific to chemistry.  It will read
any XML document and display it as a tree.  Semantics can then be added at
the element level, by adding (say) MATRIX.class - which could have an
invert() method.  In this sense it is somewhat complementary to stylesheets.)

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers