Commercial job postings?

Peter Murray-Rust Peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu May 29 01:12:42 BST 1997

In message <9705281416.AA11586 at sqrex.sq.com> lee at sq.com writes:
> Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> > As far as I can see, in
> > validated SGML
> >
> > <!Doctype A [
> > <!ELEMENT A - o EMPTY>
> > ]>
> > <A>
> >
> > and
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE A [
> > <!element a - - ANY>
> > ]>
> > <A></A>
> >
> > both return the same result,
> That depends on what you mean by "return".  ISO 8879 doesn't say anything
> about anyone returning things at all.  They are not distinguished in ESIS,
> but that's just because ESIS is broken in this regard.

Understood.  In that case the question might be
'for WF XML documents with no Element declaration, are:
<A/>
and
<A></A>
identical?

> > Can attributes have null values?  is
> >
> > B=""    the same as omitting B when #IMPLIED?
>
> No, they are not the same -- an attribute value can be zero characters,
> as can an element's content.
            ^^^^^^^^^
My implication from this is that in my second example, A has a child of
unknown type of null content OR that A has a #PCDATA child which a content
of "".  In which case it could have an effect on (say) counting #PCDATA
children.  If so, it might need flagging in the draft...

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers