Query Languages for XML

Joe Lapp jlapp at acm.org
Sun Nov 16 19:36:14 GMT 1997

Paul Prescod <papresco at technologist.com> wrote:
>[...] As I understand it, you can create a
>"HTML form element" flow object and an "HTML input element" flow object
>within it. [...]
>DSSSL has no provisions for adding flow object types in DSSSL code. So
>we are essentially talking about the DSSSL implementation language (Java
>or C, probably) [...]

I'm not sure that this approach addresses the need to have a standard
mechanism by which (server-side) XML documents are updated.  We'd simply
be relegating the standard to being defined by OMG IDL interfaces, as is
done in DOM.  We could rely on (future) DOM-defined query mechanisms,
except that the DOM approach does not provide the kind of flexibility
that an XML-based language would provide.  For example, in the DOM
approach, our queries must be programs, whether they are written in Java,
C, C++, VB, or some script language.  But then we'd wish we had defined
the script language.  User's wouldn't have to learn a different language
for generating queries on each platform, and the queries themselves
would be transportable between platforms.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)