Query Languages for XML

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Tue Nov 18 11:44:11 GMT 1997

Joe Lapp wrote:

> Paul Prescod <papresco at technologist.com> wrote:
> >[...] As I understand it, you can create a
> >"HTML form element" flow object and an "HTML input element" flow object
> >within it. [...]
> >DSSSL has no provisions for adding flow object types in DSSSL code. So
> >we are essentially talking about the DSSSL implementation language (Java
> >or C, probably) [...]
>
> I'm not sure that this approach addresses the need to have a standard
> mechanism by which (server-side) XML documents are updated.

It certainly does not. It wasn't intended to. My point was merely that
there is no real relationship between the need to be able to make form
elements and other interactive elements (hyperlinks, collapsable trees)
and the need to be able to make modifications to a document through a
query language. They are both good ideas -- they are just not
necessarily related ideas. We already have forms, and it doesn't require
an updatable SDQL.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)