MS XML parser only works with IE...

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 25 16:14:43 GMT 1997

I think a little more grace and courtesy is called for here.  Microsoft has
been working very hard to ship parsers that track the evolving spec.  As
with any unfinished product, particularly one whose specifications are
clearly marked "work in progress," there are going to be some areas where
the product lags behind the spec or visa versa.
Regarding the short tagging, did anyone actually run the code?  If so, you
would have discovered that the parser does not respect short tagging unless
you go out of your way to turn it on via an undocumented method that is not
meant for clients to call. It is not a secret feature (we give away the
source code) but it is not part of parsing normal XML.  If we were trying to
trick people into using this facility, we sure went out of our way to fail!
I recommend approaching this with a bit more benevolence and researching
things a little more before assuming a conspiracy.

--Andrew Layman
   AndrewL at microsoft.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)