MS XML parser only works with IE...

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Tue Nov 25 16:48:07 GMT 1997

>I think a little more grace and courtesy is called for here.  Microsoft has
>been working very hard to ship parsers that track the evolving spec.
>I recommend approaching this with a bit more benevolence and researching
>things a little more before assuming a conspiracy.

I wasn't promoting a conspiracy (the word appeared nowhere in my post), as you
might know if you remembered my messages from earlier this month, which
included a fairly extensive discussion of Microsoft's former demonstration of
short-tagging in the MSXML site, all of which has been removed.  I have
researched this more extensively than I wanted to by a considerable margin.  I
do not hold Microsoft to be a villain in this case.

The target of my post, which apparently lacked 'grace and courtesy' was not
Microsoft - it was the SGML folks who clamor for every piece of junk that's
littered the SGML spec to be included in XML.  I clamored at one point for
CDATA myself, but I've decided to rest and let the spec take its own course,
as simple as possible.  I'll elaborate on this in a more extended post later
this week.

Microsoft has created an excellent parser, and I'm very glad to hear regularly
on this list about your continual willingness to produce XML compliant and
100% Java XML parsing solutions.  Keep up the good work, but please try to
read my postings a little more closely before assuming that I'm accusing
Microsoft of fomenting world grief.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer (January) / Cookies (February)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)