Editing text

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Fri Nov 28 20:56:12 GMT 1997

> From: James Clark <jjc at jclark.com>

> I think it would be better if well-formedness allowed simple tokenizing
> to be used, and the detailed checking of name characters was needed only
> for validity, but that's not how the spec is currently.

That sounds sensible: any chance of it James?  It was discussed before,
but in the salad days of case insensitity.

There have been several proposals for what grain the naming rules should
have: opinions range from "allow nearly everything" to "the grain of Unicode
blocks" to "whatever Unicode says for identifiers" to "whatever the new
ISO report on identifiers says" to "whatever the Java function does" to
"almost nothing: just ASCII" to "lets look at each character individually
and judge".

Having quite a large grain (e.g., divide Unicode into 256 rows and disable
or allow whole rows {but with special treatment for row 0}) also gets
the SGML declaration into a less daunting size.  This might be be good
enough namechecking for XML, in line with the 80% rule.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)