Subclassing and Inheritance in generic documents

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Wed Oct 8 15:25:11 BST 1997

Jarle Stabell wrote:
> [JS]  Agree. Drop the parameter entities and replace them with more
> "semantic" constructs, and then it will be much easier to write
> good DTD tools.

I don't think I said quite that. Element type subclassing and property
inheritance are only two of many things that parameter entities do. We
would need to replace everything PEs do before we could remove them.
This would take many more essays like mine on topics like DTD fragment
reuse, DTD parameterization, conditional processing etc. Or else we
would need to be convinced that those things can all be done properly
with inheritance.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)