Must XML be SGML compatible? (Was: An incompatible CD

dlandeck at thomtech.com dlandeck at thomtech.com
Wed Oct 29 21:24:45 GMT 1997

len bullard wrote:

>I suggest also, if we play this long enough, there
>won't be significant differences between SGML and XML
>*in common practice*.  That's a goal that's easy to agree on but
>takes many hands at the table to achieve.

-------
I agree Len.  And, in effect, what XML (as an "application profile" of
SGML) sets out to do is standardize a best practice for the (essentially)
SGML encoding of data for the purposes of Internet transmission and
interprocess communication.

I think the SGML standard, at its core, is very sensitive to the needs of
tool developers.  Earlier kvetching about marked section syntax was a bit
off point IMHO.  Deep down in the parse tables and state transition rules
of a parser, the same code and data constructs support the parsing of
marked sections as any other token stream.

Where SGML fails as a dynamic encoding scheme for purposes such as the
Internet is in its binary notion of "valid", its rigor in demanding full
declarations, its inability to discuss a fragment of an instance, and
MINIMIZE, which can too easily allow communications-protocol corrupted data
stream to masquerade as complete. (Linking and external entity treatments
don't seem to be as much standards issues as best practice issues.)

Standard SGML forces tools to be expensive and cumbersome not by the core
features of required for content tagging (with which I include marked
sections) but by the "bells and whistles" that the standard acquired in
order to be attractive to the smaller machines and manual methods of the
mid-eighties.  By methodically dissallowing these XML will allow simpler
tools to be built, yet adhere to the solid, standardized, base of SGML.

As far as parse speed, I don't think that the differences in SGML and XML
will account for an economically meaningful discrepancy between the two
formats, especially because Moore's law is expected to hold for another
decade and processing power will be the least of our worries.

David Landeck                              Voice: (301) 548-4039
Practice Manager                           Fax:   (301) 527-4009
Advanced Technologies Consulting Group     dlandeck at thomtech.com
Thomson Technology Services Group
1375 Piccard Drive, #100
Rockville, MD 20850