Character classification

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Sep 5 18:47:47 BST 1997

At 12:04 PM 05/09/97 +0700, James Clark wrote:
>There's another technique

Of course, then there's the space/time trade-off.  In particular, in XML,
the proportion of times when you're going to change parsing state based
on whether something's a NameChar/NameStart is not that high; so how much
table space & traversal code is it worth investing in speeding up that case?
Maybe a lot, maybe not.

What we need is a truly good profiler.  Anyone with a good Java profiler
experience to share?  I speeded Lark up substantially with 0.91, just by
code-walking and guessing.  This is not the right way to do it. -T.

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers