AElfred SAX driver ?

Dmitri Kondratiev dima at paragraph.com
Mon Apr 13 18:09:19 BST 1998

At 09:54 13.04.98 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>Dmitri Kondratiev writes:
>
> > Why AElfred SAX driver (Version 1.1) belongs to different package then other
> > drivers :
> >
> > com.microstar.sax.LarkDriver
> > com.microstar.sax.MSXMLDriver
> >
> > and :
> >
> > com.microstar.xml.SAXDriver
>
>This is a very good question.  Originally, there was a
>com.microstar.sax.AElfredDriver that was distributed together with
>LarkDriver, MSXMLDriver, and NXPDriver.  Eventually, I would like to
>see all of the com.microstar.sax.* drivers disappear, as these parsers
>include native SAX drivers in their own packages.  I removed
>com.microstar.sax.AElfredDriver when I included a native SAX driver in
>the AElfred 1.1 distribution.

This means that support for SAX in AElfred becomes a _special case_ that
application will have to recognize ! Assume an application that first finds
out what SAX driver is available from its environment and then instantiates
available driver. In the case with AElfred "native" driver - application
will have to have extra "non-standard" code to handle this. It doesn't seem
to be a good solution to me. Besides, in general case this makes working
with AElfred driver difficult, which in effect eliminates it as a possible
solution.

Dima

dima at paragraph.com
102401.2457 at compuserve.com