SAX: 1998-04-18 pre-release

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Apr 19 13:55:18 BST 1998

James Clark writes:

 > Making the read methods on ByteStream and CharacterStream throw
 > SAXException seems wrong to me.  In a Java environment I need to be able
 > to throw an IOException.  So they should be declared as throwing either
 > Exception or IOException.  The approach in InputStreamAdapter of just
 > passing through the message from IOExceptions is not acceptable.  An
 > application may need to deal with different classes of IOExceptions
 > differently, so it needs to be possible to propagate the IOException up
 > to Parser.parse.

It would be easiest to have them throw Exception, since IOException
describes a constraint that will not make sense for a ByteStream or
CharacterStream implemented in another language.  I have just made
this change now, and the only difficulty comes in the optional
CharacterStreamAdapter and ByteStreamAdapter classes, where I have to
wrap the message from non-IOExceptions in an IOException.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com