XLink comment and queries

Daniel Pitti dvp4c at jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Thu Apr 23 20:23:51 BST 1998

Steve and Eve,

I have an editorial comment/question concerning one example in XLink,
section 4.3, and a couple of questions.

First, the editorial comment:

Should each of the locator elements in the following example have
"xml:link="locator":

<commentary xml:link="extended" inline="false">
   <locator href="smith2.1" role="Essay"/>
   <locator href="jones1.4" role="Rebuttal"/>
   <locator href="robin3.2" role="Comparison"/>
</commentary>

Now my queries. I have been trying to envision how XLink will work, both
with respect to rendering, but also with respect to creation and
maintenance. While I realize that the object of the proposal is not to
provide programming specifications, I am hoping that you will be willing to
share, off-the-record if you like, how you envision applications working
with XLink.

I have no problem with the purpose of XLink with respect to instances that
travel around without DTDs, but I am having trouble understanding how you
envision the future of link and entity management given that XLink does not
employ idref/s and entity/ies declarated attribute values.

My inability to envision how link and entity management will work leads me
to want to see XLink as a specification for XML documents when exported
outside of a creation and management environment, but not in a creation and
maintenance environment.

Thus, in trying to XMLize an existing SGML DTD, I find myself wanting my
linking elements to have both idref/s and entity/ies for use in creation
and maintenance, and XLink attributes for exporting the same, the latter be
created at the time of exporting. Is this sensible at this juncture? Or am
I overlooking something?

I'll be happy to elaborate if necessary.

Thanks,
Daniel
Daniel V. Pitti 	Project Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
Alderman Library	University of Virginia	Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Phone: 804 924-6594	Fax: 804 982-2363	Email: dpitti at Virginia.edu

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)