Open Standards Processes

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 19:32:11 BST 1998

At 18:42 25/04/98 +0200, Matthew Gertner wrote:
>Agreed. When you get right down to it, the same probably goes for unfocused
>rambling about inheritance, semantics, etc. (although personally I enjoy it
>thoroughly). Anyone interested in setting up xml-pontification? :-)

I don't think the discussion on here has been unfocussed and - although I
have been too busy to read it all - seems to have been valuable.

[...]
>>The W3C isn't always beautiful, but I think we'd better get back to XML
>>discussion instead of W3C discussion before the list masters have to come
>out
>>and whack us with small sticks.  One of XML-Dev's best features is its
>ability
>>to stay focused on _XML_.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I don't know of any good forums for
>>discussing/pondering/plotting against/praising the W3C.
>>
>>Simon St.Laurent

I try not to intervene in discussions. [I'm conscious that about 6 months
ago I probably was too narrow and suggested that a discussion on
inheritance, etc. (or something similarly difficult) was not moving towards
something of concrete value.]

I have been involved in flame wars - one of such Shakespearean bizarreness
that I dare not repeat it and am glad it's wiped from human e-history - an
know how easily they get out of hand. So in the present case I wanted to
avoid a slanging  match. The subsequent discussion has been valuable - such
as JonB reminding us of SGML-OPEN/OASIS. I accept his view that OASIS is
more suitable for some activities than XML-DEV, but think that XML-DEV
provides a different way of doing things that is valuable and probably
complementary. I would simply ask that if XML-DEV is unaware of something
that's already in progress, intended to become publicly available and
likely to lead to a better outcome than XML-DEV would lead to, please let
us know.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg