Semantics (was Re: Inheritance in XML [^*])

James K. Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Sat Apr 25 20:12:35 BST 1998

> I think people get confused between the "semantics" of the
> markup language
> and the "semantics" of the element [type]s and attributes
> being marked-up.

I just sent off mail trying to say the same thing, but not nearly as well as
you've said it Rick.

> They are "syntactic" in relation to the document being marked-up,
> but they are "semantic" in relation to the XML spec. It is because
> people make the transition between the two contexts that the
> term "semantic" becomes confusing.

Exactly. The XML *Language* has semantics, syntax and presentation. They are
all expressed in the XML spec.

Element types and attributes also have semantics, syntax and presentation.
They are defined in DTDs, schemata and behaviour sheets (*not* respectively,
though).

James

James Tauber / jtauber at jtauber.com
Perth, Western Australia