"writers' memberships" Re: Open Standards Processes

Stefan Mintert mintert at irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Apr 25 22:01:46 BST 1998

Hi!

---------
 > [Tim Bray:]
 >
 > [... good stuff that I completely agree with ...]
 >
 > | 4. A couple of people made the excellent point that it's tough to
 > | produce a book on one of these specs in a timely and accurate fashion
 > | if you're not inside the process.  It seems to me that it would be of
 > | huge benefit for the W3C if such books were easier to produce.  It
 > | might make all sorts of sense for the W3C to have "writers'
 > | memberships" - non-speaking access to the materials of one activity or
 > | another.  Such memberships wouldn't be free, a cost of perhaps $500 or
 > | so would bring it well within the bounds of a book-publishing budget
 > | while discouraging frivolity.
 >
 > I think that's a really excellent suggestion.  And the cost should
 > come out of the publisher, up front.
 >
 > Jon

Since I'm currently writing a book about XML I have to break my silence ;-)

I would appreciate such a "writers' membership" VERY much. Where's the right
place to discuss that? (I don't think XML-Dev is)

Bye,

 Stefan.

  Stefan Mintert
       UniDo:    mintert at irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
       private:  stefan at mintert.com
       WWW:      http://www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/~sm/

        "let the music keep our spirits high..."

                                (Jackson Browne)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)