XML-DEVIL Proposal - was Open Standards Processes

Jon Bosak Jon.Bosak at eng.Sun.COM
Sun Apr 26 01:08:53 BST 1998

| Is OASIS a member of the W3C? If so, you are absolutely right. Why
| reinvest the wheel? On the other hand, I checked the member list and
| couldn't find them. If OASIS is not a member, joining it would
| certainly interest many on this list, but it doesn't address the issue
| of gaining advanced access to W3C works-in-progress.

Good question.  It seems to me that OASIS is in the process of
becoming a W3C member organization; it certainly should be.  I've put
in a request for an update on this and will let you know as soon as I
hear anything.

I have way too much sympathy for the feelings being expressed here to
argue the point any further (which is a point about tactics, not
goals).  A number of people have told me over the last year how much
they wished they had the money to buy a W3C membership.  In their
position, I would feel exactly the same way.

So go for it, and good luck to you.  And if you folks do succeed in
developing a model for a sustainable W3C member organization that
doesn't kill you in the process, I don't see why you should stop with
just one.  How about regional chapters?

Jon

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)