SAX: ignorable whitespace question

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 11:03:11 BST 1998

At 01:08 02/08/98 -0400, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>Should "abcd#20$20efgh" be reported as:
>  characters("abcd#20#20efgh")
>  characters("abcd#20efgh")
>  characters("abcd") ignorableWhitespace(#20#20) characters("efgh")
>  characters("abcd") ignorableWhitespace(#20) characters("efgh")

I suspect that your question isn't sufficiently clearly phrased for a clear
answer.  SAX needs to be read in conjunction with the XML RECommendation.
The concept of ignorable whitespace depends on what DTD information is
provided.

>Also, is there a more appropriate forum for this sort of question?

 XML-DEV (not DML) is where most people who are interested in SAX will look
to discuss it at present. As SAX becomes more integrated into XML tools
then there may well be introductory tutorials on how to use SAX and what
SAX does and does not do. In the present case I suspect you should (a) read
the SAX documentation carefully (b) write some simple test code to find out
exactly what some common SAX implementations *do*. Create some test
documents with and without DTDs and feed them to SAX running under your
test code. If you then find the results appear to violate the
documentation, or vary between implementations, I am sure people would be
interested and make useful comments.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg