SAX: ignorable whitespace question

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 11:25:14 BST 1998

I proably confused you with my previous answer... I was replying to your
question about which forum to ask questions on.

At 01:08 02/08/98 -0400, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>Should "abcd#20$20efgh" be reported as:

Assuming this is in element content (e.g. <FOO>abcd  efgh</FOO>
 and means "abcd  efgh", then it is passed without change, using
characters(). Ignorable whitespace occurs between elements and not inside
character strings. XML (unlike HTML) does not normalise character content
and all characters that are not markup are passed to the application.
Ignorable whitespace is a device that SAX provides to help the application
decide what action it may be able to take. If you are writing a SAX-based
application you will need to understand this concept.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)