XSchema question

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Tue Aug 4 15:23:35 BST 1998

The joys of out-of-sequence email...

Don Park wants to:
>If I defined an element named FOO with attribute named BAR, can I
>1. Redefine FOO's containment rules.
>2. Redefine FOO's attribute list.
>3. Change BAR's default value.
>
>If XSchema does not do it, maybe we should define another standard that does
>this (XSchizo? <g>).

It might be tricky; you'd need to read in the XSchema, modify it, and spit it
back out.  Since XSchemas use XML instance syntax, doing this shouldn't be too
hard; it's a matter of walking the tree to the information you want (not the
straight XML element tree, but reasonably close) making the change, and
resaving the schema.  You'd need one schema copy per instance of the
application that was prone to this behavior, so multiple copies of the same
application wouldn't trip over each other's changes.

XSchizo could just be a program that reads in XSchemas, accepts edits through
a simple API, and spits 'em back out.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)