Namespaces !

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Tue Aug 4 15:23:30 BST 1998

James Clark:
>You have to be able to find the inherited value of namespace declaring
>attributes; this is no different from what you already have to do for
>xml:lang and xml:space.

I hate to say this, but I didn't hear peals of joy surrounding xml:lang and
xml:space processing. Indeed, XML-Dev was pretty well covered in complaints
about inheritance of attributes and the fun it creates for both event-based
parsers and tools that extract subsections of documents (XPointers, for
instance.)

Just because it's already there doesn't mean it was a delightful idea in the
first place.  Since James also wrote "You are wasting your time suggesting
alternative designs," I'll stick to implementation and documentation.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)