API versioning in SAX

Toby Speight tms at ansa.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 11:15:22 BST 1998

Toby> Toby M. Speight <URL:mailto:tms at ansa.co.uk>
Michael> Michael Kay <URL:mailto:M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk>

0> In article
0> <000f01bdbf08$d031a540$1e09e391 at mhklaptop.bra01.icl.co.uk>, Michael
0> wrote:

Michael> Every time I use SAX, I forget that the parser is allowed to
Michael> hand me data one character at a time if it chooses.  Perhaps
Michael> someone should write a SAX parser that does just that, so I
Michael> can test that my application would cope with it.

0> In article <uogu1nm5u.fsf at delivery.ansa.co.uk>, Toby wrote:

Toby> You could write a SAX filter that accepts input from the parser
Toby> of the moment, and delivers it a character at a time.  It should
Toby> be fairly trivial given the filter interface recently posted
Toby> here.

I forgot to mention: one could also write a filter which buffers
character data and passes it on in maximal-sized gobs.  I think this
would be quite a popular filter.