XSchema question

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 12:45:05 BST 1998

At 02:10 05/08/98 -0700, Don Park wrote:
>Peter,
>
>What you described is exactly what I was trying to explain.  It sure is nice
>to have others standy by to interpret my ramblings <g>.

Both RonB and I are enthusiastic about what you are addressing.

[...]
>I already have a working prototype that does this and it does not require
>complex processing model.  It just looks complex.
>
>>Yup. Let's solve the single schema problem first. Simon?
>

>But don't you prefer completely crazy hairball of a problem over simple
>problems?  <G>  Thanks for the help.  I think I'll continue to kick the
>hairball on my own just for 'kicks'.

The point I was making was that you have reminded me (and probably others)
that we should address the question of how embedded XSchemas are processed.
Obviously you (and I and anyone else) can come up with our own solution,
but what we are really after is a standard approach that is re-usable.
Otherwise you end up doing all your own code maintained when someone else
could do it for you (i.e. the community).

Assuming you/we are using SAX, an obvious approach would be a handler for
XSchema elements. (I hadn't thought of more than one per file, but that's
the beauty of XML - it's so versatile. Be warned, however, that people from
a purist SGML background may not immediately take to this idea (admittedly
they have SUBDOC for this, I think).

So in an early implementation I'd put this in startElement(). Later we
might have a startXSchema() event. The attraction of that is that it could
locally verify against the XSchema spec. And if it returns an XSchema
object , that could be queried (e.g. XSchema.getElement(String
universalName). If you write your own you will be constantly rehacking
every time the core XML specs/ideas change.

In any case, I guess that if we solve the single case, the multiple case
will be almost trivial.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg