Expanded names are not enough

Chris Maden crism at oreilly.com
Fri Aug 7 00:03:21 BST 1998

[John Cowan]
> Chris Maden scripsit:
>
> > "[W]ill" in what sense?  In the sense that IE 5, developed before
> > the current namespace spec does this?  In the sense that you think
> > it might.

[s/b "might?".]

> In the sense of clause 5.4 of CSS2: "A type selector matches the
> name of a document language element type".  The name, not the
> UniversalName.

Yeah, but when that was written, the colon wasn't a legal name
character.  (Well, strictly, it was legal but reserved.)  Trying to
argue that namespaces are broken, because something that doesn't know
about them doesn't work with them, is broken.

> > The behavior of CSS in the presence of namespaces is undefined.
> > But I have every reason to expect that it will follow the
> > (soon-to-be-)defined behavior of XSL, which is that the universal
> > name is compared.
>
> "Every reason" as in "reasons you can't talk about"?

No; it's just the sensical thing to do.

-Chris

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)