Helping with specific problems (was Re: [help]xml4j (Linux))

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 09:57:10 BST 1998

At 10:54 13/08/98 +0000, Thuy-Linh Nguyen wrote:
[... about a problem with xml4j ...]

and then wrote in great jubilation...

>> >Hi !
>> >I've solved my problem !!! :-))) Sorry to bother you !

and Ross Moore advised...

>> Glad to hear it...
>>
>> ...but would you please give a brief indication of what was wrong,
>> so it's on record in case it happens to someone else too
>>  --- even if only something silly like not setting a path variable.

This is exactly what we'd like, and thanks for suggesting it.  Help of this
kind can make the difference between getting some sleep and none at all
:-).  Java has particular problems with CLASSPATH and also loading
incompatible class libraries. I think I had the latter when I was using an
out-of-date Jar file for one of the parsers. Quite difficult to pick up.
BTW there was a discussion on XML-DEV some months ago about how Java could
stamp versions of classes so it was impossible to pick up the wrong ones.
Has that made it into JDK1.2 and if so, is it recommended?

	P.

BTW many thanks to those who wrote privately to me and pointed out that
java.text.SimpleDateFormat is the class to start using instead of
java.util.Date. It works reasonably well, but doesn't seem to throw errors
on things like 1998-08-32

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)