More on Namespaces

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Aug 17 20:14:29 BST 1998

Dean Roddey writes:

 > It seems that mixing up namespaces and DTDs/Schemas is
 > incorrect. DTDs and Schemas would *use* namespaces, but a namespace
 > itself should be just a namespace, shouldn't it?  Making a
 > namespace and a DTD/Schema one and the same means that the tags in
 > that namespace could only be used in a document that matched that
 > DTD/Schema, which obviously would not be optimal for very open
 > ended sets of tags.

Absolutely correct -- the XML WG came to the same conclusion.
Although the schema mechanism is not yet defined, it will certainly be
possible to have a many-to-many relationship among schemas and
namespaces.  I can write my own structural schema that happens to use
names from the TEI and Docbook namespaces, but arranged according to
my own requirements (i.e. this is a TEI paragraph, but I'm allowing it
only here).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com