Is XML getting too hard?

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Tue Aug 18 18:49:26 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust writes:

 > The idea of bundling up many files - promoted by David Megginson -
 > is an exciting one. If I could be assured that I could send a jar
 > file to a client and they could unbundle it seamlessly and
 > effortlessly then I might very well eschew the complexities of
 > namespaces (I'd still use simple ones). Effectively each namespaced
 > object would be a file with a unique namespace. These could be
 > referenced from the document either as NDATA (am I right?) or by
 > XLink.

I think that I might have caused a little confusion here.  I am *not*
suggesting an alternative to namespaces -- I support namespaces in
principle, and expect that they would still be used in the individual
documents.  What I'm explaining is a simpler and more obvious solution
to the specific problem of multiple processes constructing a single
XML document (this was the motivating example that brought in local
scoping -- namespace prefixes that are in force for only part of an
XML document).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com