Is XML getting too hard?

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Wed Aug 26 05:04:35 BST 1998

David Megginson wrote:

> Note also that packaging does not concern only XML entities -- there's
> also the problem of bundling non-XML entities, such as vector and
> raster graphics, audio and video clips, VRML worlds, etc., that are
> referenced from within an XML document.
>
> In the end, then, this is a problem that we have to solve anyway.

Yes.  What happened to the various proposals for SGML (eg, bentos)?

This problem should be solved with other languages as hubs.  The
VRML metadata node uses EXTERNPROTOs to define the interface by
which the VRML can consume and route the XML property values in
its event model.  This is exciting stuff because enables appCommunities
who apply VRML to create sharable, validatible properties (eg,
for vrml-lit, we need ways to keep persistent data about characters,
stages, relationships, etc).  The packaging issues apply there as
well.  The tug toward common solutions being felt as each language
community tries to adapt to XML is a fascinating and welcome feeling.

BTW, VRML uses gzip for single instances (in lieu of a binary).

BTWBTW:  There is a serious discussion on HTMLTextures again.  Chrome
proved it works.  Tim Bray should remember this one from the last time
it came up.

What say you, XMLers?  Should VRML create an HTMLTexture node or an
XMLTexture node
and why?  Serious question.  Help appreciated.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)