No subject

Dean Roddey roddey at US.IBM.COM
Fri Aug 28 03:37:10 BST 1998

>The issue is, that since DTV (digital television) is
>fast approaching and will be here in it's most expensive
>form in 4th quarter '98, the computer tuner in box outside
>of the TV display will cause many to decide..do I spend
>$1500 to $2000 on a computer and have an old analog t.v.
>or do I spend $1500 to $2000 on a new digital television
>that has a computer/tuner box that can get email and browse
>the web.

There is a good bit of "convergence" activity from the Home Theater side of the
aisle as well. Products like the Phillips (?) box, which is a PC, a DVD
transport,
a line double, A/V Reciever all in one box. Its not totally cooked yet, but
things
will probably soon get to the point where people who just want a computer for
the web access aspects will be able to buy a home theater and PC all in one.
Evidentally the Phillips product has an awesome picture becuause its DVD
output goes straight to its internal line double via digital connection (unlike
the
common situation where very expensive electronics are required to make up
for the many D/A/D/A conversions required with external line doubles.)

Dean Roddey
Software Weenie
IBM Center for Java Technology - Silicon Valley
roddey at us.ibm.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)