Namespaces

Peter Jones peterj at wrox.com
Fri Aug 28 11:06:34 BST 1998

Eliot Kimber writes:
2. I see some enterprises and people overselling the power of namespaces
in
a way that seems to be both dangerous and irresponsible, if not
downright
unethical.  For example, if I can save Word documents as XML but only if
every element type starts "msword:" then what have I gained? Not a great
deal more than I already have with RTF.  "You can have any name space
you
want as long as it's black" is not an acceptable answer.

Indeed. Well said.

3. The effectively compulsory use of name spaces unnecessarily
complicates
XML parsers and processors. One of the advantages of architecture-like
approaches is that parsers and processors need not be aware of them
because
they don't modify the basic syntax of documents.  The specter of
qualified
names becoming part of the base XML language frightens me.

Ditto.

3. The effectively compulsory use of name spaces unnecessarily
complicates
XML parsers and processors. One of the advantages of architecture-like
approaches is that parsers and processors need not be aware of them
because
they don't modify the basic syntax of documents.  The specter of
qualified
names becoming part of the base XML language frightens me.

Bravo!

Peter Jones
WebDev Technical Editor
Wrox Press