Internal subset equivalent in new schema proposals?

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Wed Dec 2 08:09:24 GMT 1998

At 18:48 2/12/1998 , you wrote:

  | Joel Bender <joel at spooky.emcs.cornell.edu> writes:
  |
  | > I was thinking along similar lines.  I've been adding something like this
  | > to my XML documents:
  |
  | > 	<prop name="state" xml:regexp="[A-Z]+">NY</prop>
  |
  | It's a neat way of doing it, since checking is optional and
  | transparent to non-checking applications.

Wouldn't this be better placed in a DTD?

By adding a fixed, pre-set attribute with the regexp to
element definitions in the DTD, you can enforce consistency.

Otherwise, can't the user just choose to use this or not,
on an individual, ad-hoc basis?

If so, what are we enforcing?

All that being said, I am of the belief that all of
this should be placed in application code. XML isn't
a solution to any problem, it is a storage and interchange
format for applications ...

Why try to cram the entire world of computing
science into XML?

Cheers,

James

James Robertson