Storing XML/Streaming HTML

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 10:03:53 GMT 1998

Len Bullard:
> BTW:  when you [Tim Bray] do this [generate HTML
> from XML and store the HTML on the server], do
> you autogenerate the TOC and send it with
> the document, or keep it separate?

You can see the way I did it for the New Testament on
http://www.wokchorsoc.freeserve.co.uk/bible-nt/index.html
Here I start with a single XML document for the whole work, which I split
hierarchically into books and chapters; the HTML files are at the level of
(a) a chapter, (b) a TOC for each book (c) a TOC for the whole work (d)
miscellanea such as title page; these are displayed using frames. But of
course the beauty is I could have split it any other way. One of my
disappointments about XSL is that it does not yet seem to support this kind
of rendition. (I did the processing, of course, using SAXON - 230 lines of
code)

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)