Storing XML/Streaming HTML

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Dec 8 01:36:23 GMT 1998

Michael Kay wrote:

> Len Bullard:
> > BTW:  when you [Tim Bray] do this [generate HTML
> > from XML and store the HTML on the server], do
> > you autogenerate the TOC and send it with
> > the document, or keep it separate?
>
> You can see the way I did it for the New Testament on
> http://www.wokchorsoc.freeserve.co.uk/bible-nt/index.html
> Here I start with a single XML document for the whole work, which I split
> hierarchically into books and chapters; the HTML files are at the level of
> (a) a chapter, (b) a TOC for each book (c) a TOC for the whole work (d)
> miscellanea such as title page; these are displayed using frames. But of
> course the beauty is I could have split it any other way. One of my
> disappointments about XSL is that it does not yet seem to support this kind
> of rendition. (I did the processing, of course, using SAXON - 230 lines of
> code)

Very nice and an excellent reference.  The question was general because
it
reflects a design decision when we bind from db sources.  For example,
some
HTMLHelp designs put the TOCs into a separate file for use by the
TreeView
object.  There are some advantages until one needs to reuse the
document.
As you say, one can do it many ways.  I use a Treeview for the document
type organization (eg, Articles(subtypes)) etc. because I want to use
the TV dynamically based on query operations (eg, View By Author, View
By Organization, By Status) and so on.  While I can go ahead and
populate the
TreeView with a level of the internal topics since the anchors are
generated, in this case, I choose to write these into the HTML file
as a local HTML TOC.  The reason simply is to keep them self-contained
to publish them to the IIS server as well as the intranet location.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)