Expat and line breaks

Chris Maden crism at oreilly.com
Thu Dec 10 23:54:30 GMT 1998

[Tom Otvos]
> Is there any way to get expat to preserve line breaks in element
> content?  Should that even be possible as far as XML is concerned?
> Basically, I have some element content that I would like to remain
> untouched and yet I find that all of my carriage returns are changed
> to line feeds.  I fear this is by design, as seems to be suggested
> by section 2.11 of the XML spec, but I was hoping there was a way to
> turn this off.

What are you doing that it matters?  XML mandates that all line-ends
be normalized to #xA (§2.11), so any processor that you send your XSL
output back into should be able to handle that result.

If you're using XSL to produce something other than XML, you must
remember that that's not its intended use, and you may have to do some
post-processing.

-Chris

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)