Expat and line breaks

Chris Maden crism at oreilly.com
Fri Dec 11 00:04:05 GMT 1998

I said

> If you're using XSL to produce something other than XML, you must
> remember that that's not its intended use, and you may have to do
> some post-processing.

Clearly, I'm subscribed to too many mailing lists.

If you're just processing XML and doing something with it (other than
using an XSL stylesheet on it), then you'd still better be prepared to
handle #xA line ends.  Even if there were a way to coax one parser to
turn that behavior off, you wouldn't necessarily be able to do that
with other parsers.  A better idea is just to process the data to
convert #xA back into a system-specific line-end.  I can't imagine a
scenario where this is hard in Perl or C (though I don't know Java).

-Chris

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)