XLL: NEXT/PREVIOUS vs. PSIBLING/FSIBLING

Eve L. Maler elm at arbortext.com
Fri Jan 2 17:01:20 GMT 1998

At 11:21 AM 1/2/98 -0500, Patrice Bonhomme wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What is the difference between :
>	NEXT and FSIBLING
>	PREVIOUS and PSIBLING

Hi-- We're working on improving the explanations of these keywords; expect
to see new drafts of XLL soon.  In the meantime...

FOLLOWING/PRECEDING (not NEXT/PREVIOUS) refers to the elements (or
pseudo-elements) that start before/after the current one (the "location
source"), anywhere in a document.  One way to understand this is to imagine
all the start-tags strung out on a line.  Go left to get the PRECEDING
elements of the location source, and go right to get the FOLLOWING elements.

FSIBLING/PSIBLING refers to the elements (or pseudo-elements) before/after
the location source that share the *same parent* as the location source.

So PSIBLING identifies a subset of all PRECEDING elements, and FSIBLING
identifies a subset of all FOLLOWING elements.

I gave an XML/XLL tutorial at the SGML/XML '97 conference, and have put my
PowerPoint slides up on our web site.  (They're in .ppt 97 form.)  You can
find them at <http://www.arbortext.com/xmlresrc.html> if you'd like to see
the explanation I gave for how the Xpointer addressing keywords work.

	Eve

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)