white space

MURATA Makoto murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
Tue Jan 20 12:54:41 GMT 1998

Arjan Loeffen writes:
>am I right in assuming that white space in element content should be
>ignored when XML validation is required (whatever the setting for
>xml:space), and that the xml:space attribute applies to whitespace in
>mixed content when validating, and to *all* whitespace when not
>validating (i.e. testing well-formedness only)?

Actually, white space in element content is always passed to applications.
xml:space has nothing to do with the behaviour of processors.  xml:space
merely provides a hint to applications.  The word "significant" in
the third para of 2.10 of the XML PR has to be changed.

Validating processors must distinguish white space in element content
from other white space and must signal to the application that white space
appeared in element content.  Applications will probably ignore such
white space, but XPointer will not.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)