XML Serving Solutions

Jeremie Miller jeremie at netins.net
Fri Jan 23 18:10:24 GMT 1998

>I don't think it needs discussion, just clarification.  I would expect
>the browser to send an Accept-Type header (I think that's the right
>name) of text/xml;q=1.0,text/html;q=0.9 if it can handle XML.  The
>server shouldn't transform the XML if the browser prefers it to HTML.

This would be best, but based on what I see happening, most efforts for
server XML->HTML transformation aren't part of the server but are custom CGI
or seperate efforts from the server, and I doubt will take advantage of the
Accept-Type header(although I may be wrong).

I can also envision a browser or add-on that has some support for XML, mabye
it can display the structure or provide other information(give access to the
XML via the DOM) from the XML document, but it needs to display the HTML
version from the server since it doesn't do XSL or a stylesheet isnt
available.  I know it's not the optimal solution, but I can see this
happening, and in this case it would have to make two requests to every
server to get the HTML and the XML versions if available.

Jer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)