XML Serving Solutions

Dave Carlson dcarlson at ontogenics.com
Fri Jan 23 19:46:35 GMT 1998

At 02:08 PM 1/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Jeremie Miller writes:
>
> > I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about this issue.  When a
> > server-side solution is used to dynamically modify XML content into HTML so
> > existing browsers can render it appropriately, what happens to a browser
> > that _can_ deal with the XML or XML + XSL?  Or what happens to an
> > intelligent spider that understands XML?  As far as I can tell, right now
> > nothing happens, they get HTML just like anyone else.  But so much is lost
> > and it nullifies much of the power of XML and the meta information it
> > contains.
>
>This should not really be a problem -- the link for the rendered HTML
>will be different (it will point to a CGI or servlet, usually), while
>there can be a direct link to the XML if someone wants to make it
>available.

Not necessarily true.  The Java Web Server can be configured to filter all
files with a specified extension thru a filter servlet.  E.g. the docproc
XSL processor runs as a servlet, and ALL documents with .xml extension will
be filtered to output .html files to the client.  You do not need to have a
cgi-bin url, or pass the xml file name as a cgi argument.

Dave Carlson

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)