XML Serving Solutions

terje at in-progress.com terje at in-progress.com
Mon Jan 26 20:12:22 GMT 1998

At 11:08 AM 1/23/98, David Megginson wrote:
>Jeremie Miller writes:
>
> > I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about this issue.  When a
> > server-side solution is used to dynamically modify XML content into HTML so
> > existing browsers can render it appropriately, what happens to a browser
> > that _can_ deal with the XML or XML + XSL?  Or what happens to an
> > intelligent spider that understands XML?  As far as I can tell, right now
> > nothing happens, they get HTML just like anyone else.  But so much is lost
> > and it nullifies much of the power of XML and the meta information it
> > contains.

A server can negotiate the served content to minimize loss of meta
information. It doesn't yet make sense to serve XML directly, but trust me,
as soon as it does you'll get a solution that maintain the highest possible
encoding level.

>This should not really be a problem -- the link for the rendered HTML
>will be different (it will point to a CGI or servlet, usually), while
>there can be a direct link to the XML if someone wants to make it
>available.

No, the link to a HTML page generated from XML can be exactly the same as
if the page was a static file. It all depends on the flexibility of the
server and CGI. For example, our Mac web server companion "Interaction"
generates HTML pages on the fly from XML, but can easily be set up so that
any URL of a previous site can be served by the application.

-- Terje <Terje at in-progress.com> | Media Design in*Progress

   C a s c a d e... a comprehensive Cascading Style Sheets editor for Mac
   XPublish - for efficient website publishing with XML
   Make your Web Site a Social Place with Interaction!

   Check out our web tools at <http://interaction.in-progress.com>

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)